.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
<strong>The Disgruntled Chemist</strong>

12/10/2006

Beer Blogging - White Hawk IPA

I'm just sitting down with some delicious food, and I thought that I might as well drink a delicious beverage along with it. Specifically, this delicious beverage:



That's the White Hawk Original IPA from Mendocino Brewing up in Northern CA. Apparently, they brew it with the goal of replicating the first IPA recipe.

The White Hawk IPA pours into the glass a light golden color, with some cloudiness and a small white head that disappears in maybe 30 seconds. The aroma is mostly citrus; I smell orange and maybe some lemon peel. There's no malt in the smell at all.

Upon tasting the beer, my tongue agrees with my nose: there is barely any malt in this beer. Personally, I'm a fan of such things, because I enjoy a hoppy beer more than I enjoy a sweet one in most cases. But if you don't like hops, this beer would pretty much just knock you on your ass. The initial taste is (of course) hoppy, but not nearly as citrus intensive as the aroma would suggest. There's a nice bitterness through the middle, and that gives way to a (very) little bit of malty sweetness at the end, as well as a little taste of alcohol (the beer has 7% ABV). The bitterness dominates the aftertaste.

Rating: 7/10. This is a decent IPA, and I'm certainly not sad about buying it (at my local Trader Joe's, if you're interested). The White Hawk IPA follows the IPA recipe very well - lots of hops, followed by a little malt, and a high alcohol content. It's definitely worth picking up a six-pack if you're a fan of the style, but I wouldn't say that it's extraordinary.

Labels: