.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
<strong>The Disgruntled Chemist</strong>

2/27/2008

Beer Blogging - Flying Horse Royal Lager Beer

I just got home from playing (poorly) in a basketball game, and I need to drink my sorrows away. Plus, I bought a new bottle of a beer that I've never seen before. It's called Flying Horse Royal Lager Beer, all the way from India. Let's give it a shot:



Pour: it looks exactly like a lager. It's a nice light gold color, with a very short-lived white head. The bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass persist for more than 10 minutes.

Aroma: smells a lot like a lager. There's a slight sourdough smell, and I could have sworn I smelled some hops at first. They weren't there in my second sniff, though, so maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part.

Taste: pretty good, for a lager, which (for me) means that the flavors are understated, while still being complex. The first taste is a somewhat sharp sourness, which is followed by some bready taste. That combination might have accounted for the sourdough aroma. Toward the end there's a hint of hops and a little bit of sweetness that almost tastes like honey. All that carbonation gives the beer a very nice mouthfeel. I don't usually say this about a lager, but this is a good beer.

Rating: 7/10. It doesn't have the strong flavors I usually associate with a very good beer, but it's well put together. If you like lighter beers and you see this one, I recommend picking one up.

Labels: