.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
<strong>The Disgruntled Chemist</strong>

4/22/2007

Beer Blogging - Magic Hat Mother Lager

Wow, it's been a while, huh? This will be my first post in over a week, and my first beer blogging post in almost 3. No reason, really - I've just been busy with work. But now it's Sunday, the NBA playoffs are on TV, and it's time for some beer. The first one will be Magic Hat's Mother Lager, another one of the beers I bought in New York back in February. Like most of the beers I've seen from Magic Hat, it's got some very cool label art (click to embiggen):



I'm normally not a huge fan of lagers (the stronger the better, in my opinion), so we'll see how this one goes. The first thing I noticed when I poured it into the glass was that there's not a lot of color to this beer - it's a very pale yellow color that you can't really see in that picture because my camera is a piece of crap. There also wasn't a lot of head to speak of, just a little bit of white foam on top of the beer. The aroma was bready, indicating the presence of malt but not sweetness. There is also a little bit of hops in the smell, but not so that you'd notice if you weren't trying.

The taste is a lot like the smell with this beer. It's very light on the flavor, coming dangerously close to the dreaded "watery" designation without quite getting there. I could see this being a good beer to drink on a nice warm summer day. What flavor there is is bready but not toasted, with very little malty sweetness. There are some floral hops that come through at the end, but the aftertaste doesn't stick around a lot so you don't really experience them to any extent. The carbonation sticks around pretty well to the end of the glass without being overwhelming. Overall this is a very drinkable beer, if a little less complex than I usually like.

Rating: 7/10. This is a good example of the style; I'd recommend it for people who like lighter stuff (blondes, lagers, etc.). If you're normally a fan of amber ales and darker, this beer probably won't do it for you. If you're going to be drinking Magic Hat, get the Fat Angel; you'll enjoy it more.

Labels: ,